Cosmetic medicine professionals of Doral, Florida share information about a novel treatment for androgenetic hair loss.
Treating Hair Loss With Your Own Blood
Though the above statement may sound strange, many of the beauty treatments today use a person’s own body defenses and healing mechanisms to provide amazing results.
Micro-needling is a perfect example of this medical method. It uses a tiny needle to almost microscopically puncture the skin and stimulate collagen production.
The human body is amazing and medical science has found many ways to manipulate and improve functions that are already there in order to help patients feel and look better.
PRP injection is a fairly novel procedure for hair growth stimulation but is showing very promising results.
What are PRP Injections?
Most people are aware that blood contains multiple types of cells and elements that keep the body healthy.
These parts include but are not limited to, red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and plasma.
Plasma is the nearly clear liquid part of the blood that helps transport the cells from place to place. Platelets help the blood to clot and stimulate healing.
This treatment of injecting a person’s own plasma has been used in sports medicine to help athletes recover from joint and tendon injuries to great effect.
It is now being used as a treatment for androgenetic hair loss in both men and women. Here are a few more interesting facts and frequently asked questions about this treatment.
- Method: A client’s blood is drawn and put into a centrifuge. This machine separates the blood into its various components through spinning or centrifugal force. The plasma and platelets are then injected under the skin of the scalp.
- Frequency: The injections happen once a month for three months and then are decreased to once every three months or six months, then usually the treatments need to be done once a year to maintain results.
- Speed of Results: Because this treatment is stimulating natural body processes, the patient will need to have a few treatments before there is any evidence of results.Hair growth is a slow process.
- Appointments: The entire appointment from blood drawing to injection takes only around 30 minutes and is an outpatient procedure with little to no discomfort.
Is the Treatment Right for You?
If you are suffering from hair loss, you understand that it can be detrimental to mental health.
About 50 million men and 30 million women in the United States have suffered some form of hair loss. Whether it is due to hormonal changes, is stress related, or has a genetic component, it is never easy.
There are many treatments out there that have proven to help people regain both their hair and their confidence. You should always discuss any procedure or medication with a professional before deciding on it.
If you have a history of low platelets or are allergic to certain materials, this treatment will likely not give you the results you are looking for. Even if you discover that the treatment is available, you must be prepared for realistic results.
What are the Possible Side Effects?
Though people rarely suffer any sort of side effects from PRP injections, there are a few notable outliers and symptoms that should be recognized and acknowledged.
Some people do have discomfort from the procedure. It is an injection, after all. Ice packs and over-the-counter pain relief can be very helpful in these cases.
A few more serious side effects that can result from platelet-rich plasma injections include those listed below.
- Blood vessel injury at injection site
- Nerve injury at injection site
- Scarring at the injection site
- Calcification at the injection site
- Side effects from anesthesia, if used, such as confusion or muscle aches
This is a New Treatment. How Are the Results?
The platelet-rich plasma injection is a novel treatment and was mainly developed for use with injuries to the tendons and for patients with osteoarthritis.
It has shown very promising results, but the studies have been few and have consisted of no more than 40 participants. This means that the true results of this treatment for hair loss are far from fully tested.
It has been shown to have good results, sometimes even better results than the topical hair growth brand that has been around for a long time. This treatment may have fewer side effects than some other treatments, so discussing it with your healthcare provider and medical professional in the cosmetic field is necessary.
About FaceBeauty Med Spa
Located near the Miami International Airport in Doral, FL, FaceBeauty Med Spa offers a variety of facial treatments and laser hair removal. We offer a safe, clean, and professional facility with highly qualified staff. Call today or book your appointment online.